of the Program
For an event at your location, Hearts
& Minds provides:
Hearts & MindsSM - Information for ChangeSM
Our World - Our Future:
Youth for ChangeSM
Helpful Info for Participating
- Guidance for young people on how to communicate effectively with the
public, based on our professional experience in advertising, marketing and communications.
- Informational discussion of global poverty or pressing environmental issues with an
explanation of how people can help create a more just, beautiful,
healthy and sustainable planet.
- Photographer(s) to take pictures of the youth and their work.
- Possible media coverage. The young participants may be interviewed,
photographed, or filmed for print, broadcast and other media.
- Forms for parents or guardians to sign giving permission to show
pictures of their children and their work on-line on the Hearts & Minds website - www.change.net - and in other media.
Please have these forms signed and ready for Hearts & Minds by the start
of the event.
- If possible, please supply a PC computer,
computer projector and screen or white wall. This enables us to include
a better presentation.
Your organization would spread the word to recruit a
good number of participants. We can design a poster for you if you provide
the name, email and phone number of the best contact person in your
organization, so participants can sign up with you. Please also include the address and room
number where the event will be held.
then email you the final poster as a pdf file and ask you to print it out,
cut the tickets at the bottom, and post it in all appropriate locations at
We ask you to publicize the event two weeks in
advance, if practical. This gives time for the participants to get signed
parental permission/release forms in advance.
We also ask you to provide the following:
- Recruitment of participants from your school or
organization, 25 - 30* teens at each event recruitment can very
from assigning a class of students to posters and your staff spreading
the word. Please let us
know at least a day ahead how many participants you expect.
*Events with as few as 10 or as many 100 are possible. Please ask if this applies to your organization.
For groups of more than 30, a mic and loudspeaker is very helpful.
- A a sturdy chair for each participant, including
extra chairs for the adults from your organization and Hearts & Minds.
- A comfortable chair for each participant and a
few extras for the adults. Plenty of table or desk space
(at least 30" wide x 24" deep for each participant) for them to work on. This event must be
in a public or community space, not in a private home. We request an advance estimate of how
many will attend.
- Screened adult supervision from your organization, at least one adult for
every seven kids. Hearts & Minds usually provides 1 - 4 volunteers. You
will be kept posted if additional media will be attending.
- A PC computer with an available USB port, loaded
with the Microsoft PowerPoint program that's compatible with Microsoft
Office 2003, a computer projector and a screen to show our
presentation. If a screen is not available, a light colored (preferably
white) wall is OK.
- Light, preferably healthy refreshments for all
- Art supplies* sufficient for all participants to work with at the same
time. This should include:
- clean white copy paper or stiff, white, poster-size paper (most
events use 8-1/2" x 11" or 11" x
17" paper, your choice), at least five sheets/participant.
- at least one sharpened pencil for each
participant, along with at one or more pencil sharpeners for the room.
- a full range of brightly colored, non-toxic
magic markers, crayons or paint, tested in
advance to make sure they work well on the paper provided. No more than three kids should have to share one full set.
It's better to have a full set for each two participants.
- 8-1/2" x 11" lined paper and pens for each child to
write essays, poetry and/or letters to our elected representatives
or the media.
If you are not able to provide
any of the above items, let us know, and we may be able to provide them. Please let us know in advance if you cannot provide
all of the specified materials.
The event usually take between two and three and a half hours.
It can be scheduled as follows (days and start times are
very flexible but are confirmed in advance):
- 3:00 PM - Refreshments/settling in
- 3:15 - Introductions of Hearts & Minds, other
adults and the participants
- 3:20 - Lecture/discussion of poverty and/or
the environment, art techniques and effective communication
- 3:40 - Poster, essay and poetry creation time
- 4:20 - Group review of the work, further
discussion of the issue -or- talk about letter writing techniques,
identification of each person's representative
- 4:40 - Time for additional work or writing
letters to our elected representatives
- 5:00 - Group review and further discussion
- 5:30 - Good-byes
An alternative event, in which each child creates one piece of
art for inclusion in a "Change Our World" collage, can be completed
in less than two hours.
Other than the items above, there is no required costs
or payment for this event.
Summary of the Program
of This Section
Top of Page | Home
Page | Site Guide
This web page and entire website ©
Copyright: 1997 - 2015 by Hearts and Minds Network,
June 4, 2003, latest changes August 3, 2010
Hearts & Minds
Copyrights, Reprints & Important Notes